AB: family for Elm, mostly
  • Subject: AB: family for Elm, mostly
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:21:25 -0500

The cross is HEART STEALER X (CHILDSONG x ZERZURA) with the parents being
the top photos. The cross results interested me. Not too much of the
pollen parent showing, but if it isn't a true cross then HS gave a natural
pod. I didn't much care for #1 and my initial reaction was the same for #5
but I changed my mind :). #2 was my favorite for the color, but after
everything was considered this year I considered #4 to be the best new
seedling that bloomed this year. Might not have been my most favorite
bloom, but the bloom life of each individual bloom was extraordinary and the
bloom time of the plant was also very long. It started early in the season
and was still going toward the end. Strong stalks and windproof blooms.
That's what I like and the bloom was attractive too. There was a sibling
that got frozen out and I still have seeds from the cross I didn't plant.
Quite easily the best plants I've ever obtained using HS. I expect #2 will
be a bloomout since all the fans bloomed, but it had effective pollen so
there are some pods obtained using it. #3, #4 and #5 set pods. I didn't
try with #1.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image