Re: CULT: rebloom -- indoor seedling

  • Subject: Re: CULT: rebloom -- indoor seedling
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:59:07 -0500

Glad you like it, Dave.  Charlie Nearpass was one of our leading hybridizers on this coast and I was fortunate to have Charlie's scrutiny applied to some of my earlier seedlings.  He was a proponent of broad, rounded falls.  I'm afraid that I sometimes subject my seedlings perhaps a little too rigorously to the "Nearpass test", as I call it  --  in which the falls are touching, or nearly so, at the hafts.  Your remarks remind me that, while certain features are often desireable, beauty is found, in the end, in balance and proportion.
I'm sorry you don't have rebloom this year.  In this part of the country, we've had little droughts and rains alternating since May.  And we had a cold September followed by a record cold October.  The result for me is more rebloom than usual.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the current warmup will last.  --  Griff