HYB: Complementary White Carotenoid Genes in SDB

  • Subject: HYB: Complementary White Carotenoid Genes in SDB
  • From: "Dan Meckenstock" <dmeck@eaglecom.net>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:59:22 -0600

I am talking about the carotenoid pathway. I think I have found two of the elusive complementary white carotenoid genes in the SDB background. In other words, two non-carotenoid pigmented flowers when crossed produce a colored carotenoid flower.  The genes were found in the cross.
Songlines x Buddy Boy = pale orange F1, with no anthocyanidins
In fact, two of 11 seedlings were pale orange. Needless to say, I was surprised to see these two segregates. A photo of one of the pale orange seedlings is attached. It is identified as 06 SDB 1297. This flower is heterozygous at two of the white carotenoid loci and should produce white offsping if self-polinated. This is a test cross I need to do. This flower should also be homozygous pl--a condition that blocks the anthocyanin pathway.
The female parent, Songlines, is a blue plicata with no carotenoid pigmentation, Sorry about the focus.
The male parent, Buddy Boy, is a blue flower with red hafts. I need to check this next year with the microscope, but I believe the red hafts are caused by yellow chromoplasts, but the falls are void of colored chromoplasts.
There is a lot of heterozygosity in this cross. For example, for a pale orange F1 flower with no anthocyanidins to appear, Buddy Boy has to be at least pl pl - -. This also suggest blue is a heterozygous white condition, but I do not have sufficient evidence to prove this statement.
I have other crosses that indicate color in the hafts and falls inherit independently. I therefore make the assumption the hafts and falls are different genetic domains. As such, the white carotenoid genes I have serendipitously discovered function in the domain of the standards and falls.
__._,_.___ Web Bug from http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590/grpId=43451/grpspId=1707632694/msgId=35075/stime=1162832931

Iris Iris plants Purple iris
Iris bulb Photos of

JPEG image