Re: REB: Renown X Wearing Rubies maiden

  • Subject: Re: REB: Renown X Wearing Rubies maiden
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 18:26:11 -0500

Starring, itself, is fairly short here, but some of its seedlings are of better height.  Crossed with your 'Renown' x 'Wearing Rubies' seedling, it might help to keep the velvet effect that I find is usually lost in a velvet x non-velvet cross.  I'm surprised to see what appears to be some velvet effect in your seedling's falls.
It sure hurts to lose a really prized seedling.  I lost a unique SDB this spring, and then had an astonishing thing happen:  Three especially dramatic TB seedlings, two of them siblings and the third sharing common ancestry, all 3 years old, were hit hard by rot.  Although treated, one may not survive.  Since each was in a different bed and adjacent plants were not affected, I'm afraid the susceptibility is in the genes.  It's as if they were carrying a time bomb.  Things like that and the general similarity of germination rates in a given year between gardens in the same geographical area keep reminding me of how complex these plants are.  --  Griff