Re: HYB: pigments

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: HYB: pigments
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@netscape.net>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 00:32:07 -0000

After experimenting with various oils I settled on clear lamp oil. Its
light and has no intrinsic colour to confuse results and is cheap and
readily available. Also no emulsion reactions with methyl hydrate
(paint thinner alcohol) which can confuse results. Resulting mash
should be filtered. I use coffee filters. Cheap and readily available.

If you are not sure about what you are getting try using different
original solvants.  That is mash up in distilled water for first try.
Another petal in alcohol and possibly a third one in oil at first
allthough this is a bit heavy so doesn't filter as well. Then mix
solution with an other solvent and shake well.   The solvants I use
work well together. I never would use cooking oil. Too heavy, has
emusions with a lot of alcohols and has a tint which makes it hard to
properly view extracted pigment.

You might try water extraction with Harevest of memories and then
filter and then mix with oil and shake. There is a water based yellow
pigment ( a flavanoid) there as well as an oil based yellow pigment..

Chuck Chapman