HYB: pigments

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] HYB: pigments
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@volfirst.net>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:55:38 -0400

Seedling IMCS-1 ("Cloud Shadows") (IMMORTALITY X CELEBRATION SONG) and
extracted pigments from left to right: HARVEST OF MEMORIES, IMCS-1, and
VIOLET MIRACLE.

The water soluble pigments (blues & purples) are in the bottom of the
jars, with the oil soluble pigments (pinks and yellows) on top.

The extractions for HARVEST OF MEMORIES and VIOLET MIRACLE came out as I
expected - yellow pigment in the upper oil layer for HOM and purple
pigment in the lower water/alcohol layer for VM.

This is NOT what I expected for my seedling!  The falls are rosy
lavender, and look pink when the light hits them just right, but they
also look like they have some blue pigment.  I thought I would maybe see
blue pigments in the bottom with some pink in the oil layer, or maybe
all the pigment in the bottom water/alcohol layer, the "pallida pink"
that is actually pinkish lavender that I keep hearing about.

Chuck, I hope you are still there - does this mean that there are
pigments that are oil soluble that look sorta purple??

Also, the water/alcohol extraction layer isn't clear, like it is for
HARVEST OF MEMORIES - it is opaque, white looking.

That was fun - even tho I am now more confused than ever <g>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8