[PHOTO] 2 for 1 | Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:25:40" />

[PHOTO] 2 for 1

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] 2 for 1
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:25:05 -0500

Two distinct fans from one seed.  On using TB pod parents with arilbred
pollen I seem to get a high percentage of seedlings that do this.  A lot of
the time they don't survive.  Sometimes only one of the fans will survive.
While they are going through the process of dividing themselves, growth
slows.  Seems to take a lot of energy.  I have one plant on which both
halves survived.  When I originally dug it up and cut into the separate
parts growing from the original rhizome, I discovered that one half had pbf,
the other did not.  But I have yet to see any bloom since every time its had
a bloom stalk they have been zapped by a late freeze.  I haven't had this
occur on a TB x TB seedling nor and AB x AB seedling yet.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 8, USA