  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos]NOID:ID's
  • From: Robt R Pries rpries@sbcglobal.net
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 19:28:49 -0700 (PDT)

How can we reduce the number of misnamed Iris? There are times when I feel a great many Iris people donít read. Many of course donít even know what a checklist is. Having assembled the species checklist and put descriptions in it that were not easily available I find it disconcerting when I see people post questions that would be easily answered there. But again people donít read. One of the reasons I keep campaigning for illustrated checklists is that people do look at pictures. Even if you canít identify an iris from a photo you can often say when it is wrong. If we are ever to get fewer misnamed Iris for sale I say we need photo galleries to refer to. Written descriptions are good too, but again people who donít read will look at pictures.