HYB: Shannopin

  • Subject: HYB: Shannopin
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 06:35:35 -0400

SHANNOPIN (Pillow, 1939: REDWING X sdlng) is one of those old weedy
irises that grows everywhere in this area. It's a yellow and rose
bicolor and from what I was able to find in the online register, seems
to be mostly in pedigrees of yellow amoenas.

Have any of you tried any crosses with it?

I have some bee babies coming along, but after seeing Loic's lovely
babies from RAJAH BROOK, I'm feeling inspired to try some intentional
crosses.

Loic, RAJAH BROOK is listed in the 1940s checklist which isn't online
yet. It's Norton, 1944: MATULA X GARDEN MAGIC. According to the 1939
checklist, Norton lived in Iowa.

Pillow worked for the Street and Sewer Dept in Pennsylvania.

Fascinating tidbits about hybridizers in the 1939 checklist!
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

__._,_.___
Recent Activity