Re: ADMIN: Milette's "borrowing" photos

  • Subject: Re: ADMIN: Milette's "borrowing" photos
  • From: irischapman@aim.com
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:44:54 -0500

The photos on the display site are not listed for sale, just the ones
on the <http://www.millettephotomedia.com> site.

A lot of people when posting or at some time indicate that people are
free to use the photos, so in many cases permission was inadvertently
given. But, on the display site, with the iris photos, almost all of
them are photos posted to iris-photos. Very few, actually almost none,
are from Reggie Millette or from anywhere else. Yet if you go to his
for sale list, there are hundreds of his photos of iris. The question
then is , why? Why not post web sized photos of iris from ones he
took, why just "borowed" photos from other people.

Also , he has hundreds of photos of iris "borowed " from iris-photos,
but he never posted a photo in return on iris-photos. He has them,
could have shared with others, given back, just not taking as he has.
So he is taking generously, but not returning. So basically using the
list for his own purposes, but not giving anything back. Not what I
would consider good group courtesy.

Even on giving permission to use photos, in a general sense, it is not
the same thing as giving permission to building a photo site based
entirely (almost 100%) of others photos. For this particular type of
usage, it should be considered common courtesy to tell people what
their photos are being used for, and direct them to site to see how
they are be
ing used, particularly when you are using a large number of
someone's pictures.

Margie, my experience with giving him pictures is quite different. I
generously sent a large number of high end photos and gave him
permission to use these. He would keep comming back to me and asking
for more. I complied for awhile, but eventually stopped and asked
"What's in it for me" I don't know if he used photos I sent, but he
didn't send me a copy of the book and wasn't very appreciative of the
work. I say work. I'm on dial up, and at times it is very unreliable.
So raw camera photos are too big to send, so they have to be preped,
inculding resizing. After preping , they are still large, and it takes
some time to send over a dial up connection. They have to be sent one
at a time, ans sometimes resent, as they don't go through. So about 30
minutes or better of my time per photo. These requests were comming
during summer when I was working in my garden. Here in my northern
garden I loose a lot of plants, and the ones that survive, just don't
put out increases as well. So I need to work hard and long to get
garden to pay for itself and equipment. So my time is valuable, and
there seemed to be no end of his requests, or respect of the time he
was asking of me. Actually it was more of a demand, as he was upset
that I stopped sending photos.

So, he was angry at m
e for not continuing to send photos on demand. And
then you may have seen his comment about my not being co-operative with
him. That was my thanks.

Chuck Chapman

Re: ADMIN: Milette's "borrowing"  photos

Posted by: "Margie Valenzuela"
IrisLady@comcast.net

iris85737

Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:40 pm (PST)

John, allow me to address 2 issues here:

1.) I met Mr. Millette on tour at the 2006 AIS Convention in Oregon. He
was very friendly and very polite. He told me he was writing a book,
and that he may later ask to use some of my photos in his book. He told
me (and in the presence of my husband too) that he would give me credit
for my photos used in that book, and also in return, he would send me a
copy of that book once it was completed.

Later he did indeed ask for high resolution (TIFF) photos of six to
seven (maybe eight) arilbreds. I gave him my permission to use those
arilbred pics and sent him the high resolution photos. Those arilbred
photos were used in his book, and he did indeed send me his book
thanking me for my support. I was pleased and honored he kept his word
by sending me the iris book. However, I was NOT given credit anywhere
in
that book (as he said he would) for any of my photos which were
used. That was disappointing to me.

2.) John, those 2 photos of Carl and Sissy, and Cerf-volant indeed are
mine, and I was "surprised" to see that they are being offered for
sale!! ** Mr. Millette never mentioned or asked me for my permission to
place my photos online so he could SELL them.

As I look through a couple of the iris links at his "photos for sale"
website - - I find even more of my photos there. On the first IRIS page
of this website I see my photos of Alpine View, and April of Paris. On
the B's page I now see my photo of Brazen Beauty. I can only speculate
that there are more of my photos on that website that I did not give my
permission to sell.

About a week or 10 days ago he asked me for a couple of my Louisiana
Iris photos in High Resolution (and so I sent them). I (mistakenly)
assumed he was going to write another Iris book and needed Louisiana
photos for it. (I say this because he had mentioned to me back in 2006
that he may write a second Iris Book, and if so, that he may contact me
again). Now, I am uncertain what he plans to use those 2 photos for.

~ Margie Valenzuela

(margiempv, Margie Piorkowski Valenzuela)

Oro Valley, AZ.