Re: ALOCASIA WENTII

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: ALOCASIA WENTII
  • From: Krzysztof Kozminski <kk@netgate.net>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 00:02:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, toeric wrote:

>      All right folks I hate to get pushy but I could really use some
> information on Alocasia wentii.   I know it is not a very exotic hard to
> find plant but I still really do not want to kill it.
> I am just looking for basic info on it's full size and cultural
> requirements.

Mine was languishing when it was getting too much light in its original
placement near a south-facing window.  Low humidity in the house (I guess
30-40% tops) + bright light also invited spider mite infestations.

Now I have it near a north-facing window, which most of the time has
closed blinds (these are vertical blinds made of fabric, so they do not
block all the light).  This window never gets any sunlight, and the plant
took off quite nicely.  Spider mites need bright light in addition to low
humidity, so they went extinct.

I have it in a 8-inch pot, filled with generic potting mix, with a
tablespoon of some generic pelletized slow-release fertilizer I found in
my garage.  After being moved, its leaves grow to about 12 inches long and
6 inches wide.  The photo of the entire thing as of 5 minutes ago can be
seen here: http://u1.netgate.net/~kk/Araceae/Alocasia/JPEG/wentii.6.JPEG.
Not a very good photo (taken with a flash) but should give you the idea of
the light conditions.  The window is that thing on the right...

However, note that one reputable person told me that what I have is really
Alocasia x sedenii, although it was obtained form a reputable source, so
all my advice may be not worth much...

KK
"Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking"

Krzysztof Kozminski
kk@netgate.net
http://u1.netgate.net/~kk/