Re: Amorphophallus bulbifer culture

Mine grow leaps and bounds. Both species. I use PROMIX BX a peat-based mix
and OSMOSCOTE 14 14 14 fertilizer at the highest recommended dose. Both are
in Dappled shade and get 2 hours of full morning sunlight. I have Konjac
tubers the size of a human head. I live in New England, I warm up the tubers
(take them out of the root cellar) now and let them start popping without
soil. They go out in late May and if they are not dormant by Sept 15 I
tipped them over and let them dry out. I let the leaf die completely before
cutting it away ans store the tuber till next year. Hope this helps.

At 09:54 PM 04/24/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>I was wondering if anyone has any cultural information on the
>best way to grow A. bulbifer.  I've had a small corm for a couple
>of years and it doesn't seem to be increasing in size.  I also
>have a bunch of A. konjac that also are not getting any bigger.
>Any ideas as to soil type, heat, light, fertilization & etc. for
>either of these species would be greatly appreciated.
>David Sizemore
Michael Marcotrigiano
Rm 211 French Hall
Dept of Plant and Soil Sciences
Univ of Massachusetts
Amherst, MA 01003  USA
voice: 413-545-5227
fax: 413-545-3075 att: Michael Marcotrigiano
email: marcotrigiano@pssci.umass.edu