Re: Dead Horse Arum

  • Subject: Re: Dead Horse Arum
  • From: Peter McKiernan <pmk@iinet.net.au>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:45:22 -0500 (CDT)

Hello

I can't comment on dead horse arum (because i dont have one) but its
interesting that when my Edithcolea grandis flowered about a month ago,
depending upon the time of day I could smell it from a meter away . Around
midday and early afternoon the smell was very strong but by later in the
afternoon it was hardly perceptible. Im told that with stapeliads the warmer
the growing conditions the higher leval of smell, could it be the same with
this plant?

Peter McKiernan
Perth Western Australia.

At 10:38 PM 4/27/01 -0500, you wrote:
>as with some stapeliads, the putative offensive smell is only discernible
if you really stick your nose ot the flower.  last year my Edithcolea
grandis bloomed but unless your nose was inside the flower, you couldn't
really smell that wonderful rotting meat fragrance.