Re: World Spathiphyllum and Big Bang

  • Subject: Re: World Spathiphyllum and Big Bang
  • From: SelbyHort@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 08:47:33 -0500 (CDT)

Loved the rant. Your mention of Eugenics made my hair stand on end. I have
been reading a great deal about this subject lately. Seems one of the primary
movers in the American eugenics movement was a professor at the University of
Vermont (the state where I now live). The Germans came to the US and to
Vermont to study this "new science" of breeding better humans and a few years
later a fellow named Hitler played it all out for the world to see.

The NYC school of photography recently held a eugenics exhibition of images
from the early part of the 20th century that documented US efforts to
eliminate "undesirables and the feeble-minded" through massive state approved
sterilization campaigns in this country. People have already forgotten all
about this. Modern DNA recombinant research is bringing this issue all back
into focus. It is horrible to consider in light of past efforts that sought
to destroy our humanness for the sake of a so-called superior race.

You got it right....DNA is the ultimate biometric identifier. Fortunately
human rights issues and cost prevent human genetic identification from being
put in place on a wide scale, at least for the present. Will humans, in the
Darwinian sense, be "the one most responsive to change", and in so doing
choose to adopt and develop this technology as our species survival path?

Donna Atwood

In a message dated 04/27/2001 11:41:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,