Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus foliage

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Dracunculus foliage
  • From: "C. J. Addington" cjaddington@earthlink.net
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:57:05 -0700

on 4/29/03 12:08, Peter Boyce at boyce@pothos.demon.co.uk wrote:

> Hi Jim
> For a long time it was claimed that the heavily white-chevroned forms of
> Dracunculus vulgaris were from Crete (there is even a variety cretensis,
> recognized by Engler, for this leaf form). However, while it is true that
> the vast majority of plants on Crete are so marked, the variegated form also
> occurs in western Turkey and also crops up on other Aegea islands.
> Pete

Hello All again!
    It seems nobody talks about much of anything on here for ages, and then
all of a sudden the floodgates open, and the conversation gets really
interesting! This spurt of Dracunculus talk is right up my alley - I love
these guys and grow a bunch of them.
    Last summer I used pollen from one of my heavily white-chevroned
Dracunculus to pollinate the bloom of a completely non-variegated plant just
as an experiment to see what would happen, such as what is dominant, how
many babies are chevroned, etc. That pollination produced a huge berry
cluster that I sprouted on my patio. I now have over a hundred cute little
mixed-pattern baby Dracunculus, and at this stage (1-2 leaves) not one of
them shows any white at all. So, either solid green is 100% dominant, or
babies just don't show any white chevrons. I look forward to rearing them up
to see the percentages of chevroned vs. plain green.
    If anyone would like some of these babies (I cannot grow 100+ plants of
one thing on my patio!) I would be happy to share them, if you would just
let me know if it turns out green or chevroned. I think these guys are so
cool that everyone should grow them! Of course, I live in a Mediterranean
climate, so perhaps I am biased.
    Love to hear about other folk's experiences with these neat plants.

CJ Addington