Re: [Aroid-l] Typhoniums in zone 8/9

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Typhoniums in zone 8/9
  • From: "Russell Coker" <cokerra@bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 08:57:41 -0500

Hi Susan.

I'm 8b in Mobile, Alabama.  My experience with Typhoniums and hardier Amorphophallus is the same as Albert's, although my winters are warmer.  We had only a few dips below 30 degrees, but this morning we had sleet.

For me it doesn't seem to matter if they are in pots or the ground, they seem to follow the same cycle.  The ones in pots don't get any extra protection other than being placed under benches on the ground.  One thing I have noticed is that T. venosum multiplies rapidly in the ground.  Summer heat doesn't seem to be a problem.

Russell