Dracontium prancei blooming

  • Subject: Dracontium prancei blooming
  • From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy@zoominternet.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:22:22 -0400

Hi Vincent and other lovers of Dracontium,

I now have my Dracontium prancei blooming so wanted to share a pic.  I apologize for the poor quality, but this time of year I need to take the pics inside....maybe if the influorescence lasts long enough I can get a better shot outside.  The plant that produced this lovely influorescence has a petiole that is approximately 7 feet tall (a bit over 2 meters) and a second one that is maybe 4.5 feet tall.  Since the tallest petiole is above my window hight it has not gotten a lot of sun over the winter, but it seems to be OK.  The influorescence itself is just a bit over 12 inches (31 cm) from the soil level to the tip so pretty nice size, although I'm told from Michael that they can get as big as 18" (45 cm) if I am remembering that correctly.  Michael, please correct me if I am in error.

Michael, I'd love to see a pic of your prancei x polyphyllum if you have one easily available.

Good growing all,
Dan
Dan Devor
Gibsonia, PA