Intergeneric hybrids

Dear All,

While visiting Sweden last year I went to the Bergianska Tradgarden, a small
but beautiful botanic garden outside Stockholm, with tropical greenhouses
showing a number of well-grown aroids. On one of the benches was a plant
labelled as a hybrid between Spathiphyllum (I think wallisi) and a
Dieffenbachia! The plant was about 18 inches tall and the leaves certainly
looked like an intermediate between the thin, lanceolate leaves of
Spathiphyllum and the thicker, more oval leaves of Dieffenbachia. The Flower
looked like a rather short-stemmed version of the typical Spathiphyllum
flower.

Does such a hybrid seem likely/possible? Does anyone know of any other such
intergenerics? Perhaps we should be thinking about more such original
crosses; certainly the plant was very attractive and presumably could get
quite large if it took after the Dieffenbachia parent.

Any thoughts and or knowledge on this topic from other members awaited with
interest.

Geoffrey Kibby
International Institute of Entomology
56 Queen's Gate