Re: Amorph paeoniifolius

In a message dated 4/20/99 1:58:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ju-bo@email.msn.com writes:

<<
 Dear Nancy,
 In an attempt to positivly identify 'your' plant, would you be so kind as to
 let us know the answers to the following--
 Was the 'flower' tall or short??   The reason I ask is that there are two
 common Amorphophallus species that are grown in the U.S.A.--- A.
 paeonifolius, which has a short, broad 'flower' and which is not usually
 grown far North, and is not known to be cold tollerant, and A. konjac which
 has a 'flower' with a tall stem, and is known to be cold tollerant, and is
 been commonly grown up North.
 The flower of Dracunculus does look vaguely like a small 'flower' of A.
 konjac, while in fact it looks NOTHING like the 'flower' of A. paeonifolius,
 which leads me to believe that perhaps you were and are sucessfully growing
 A. konjac, which would NOT be at all surprising up North.
 Cheers,
 And good growing,
 Julius

Hi Julius,
     I will attempt to describe my A. paeonifolius the best I can.  First,
the flower appears.  Then after flowering, the single spotted/mottled leaf
stalk appears.  The leaf stalk is approximately 4 feet tall with one very
large leaf with many deep lobes.  The flower is low to the ground, giving the
appearance of having no stem, rather large, nearly as wide as it is tall.  It
reminds me of a deformed, strangely colored head of cabbage with the center
resembling a human brain that goes to a point.  The outer leaves of the
'cabbage' are spotted while the center (brain part) is sort of purplish!
Geez....it's hard to describe the flower but I hope this will give you the
general picture.  It looks nothing like the flower of A. konjac or any other
Amorph that I know of.

Regards,
Nancy