Re: Amorph paeoniifolius

-----Original Message-----
From: Mitsukiwi@aol.com <Mitsukiwi@aol.com>
To: ju-bo@msn.com <ju-bo@msn.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 21, 1999 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: Amorph paeoniifolius

In a message dated 4/20/99 1:58:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ju-bo@email.msn.com writes:

> [...]
     I will attempt to describe my A. paeonifolius the best I can.  First,
the flower appears.  Then after flowering, the single spotted/mottled leaf
stalk appears.  The leaf stalk is approximately 4 feet tall with one very
large leaf with many deep lobes.  The flower is low to the ground, giving
the
appearance of having no stem, rather large, nearly as wide as it is tall.
It
reminds me of a deformed, strangely colored head of cabbage with the center
resembling a human brain that goes to a point.  The outer leaves of the
'cabbage' are spotted while the center (brain part) is sort of purplish!
Geez....it's hard to describe the flower but I hope this will give you the
general picture.  It looks nothing like the flower of A. konjac or any other
Amorph that I know of.

Regards,
Nancy<<

Dear Nancy,
I feel the same as Steve said in an earlier post, you certainly seem to be
growing Am. paeonifollius MUCH colder than has been previously reported!!!
I`m sure that this is quite a surprise to many on this list, and must thank
you so very much for taking the time to provide the info. so that at least
we could rule out A. konjac.   At a later date a photo of the bloom would be
an excellent idea, as would the distrubition/sale of small offsets of your
clone to other members in the cold/cool Northern climes who would want to
grow and test the cold resistance to this previously thought-to-be warmth
loving Amorphophallus species!
Thanks again.   We learn something new EVERY day if only we keep our ears
and minds  open, and ask questions and persue all leads!!
Good growing,
Julius
 ju-bo@msn.com