Re: [aroid-l] images on Aroid-l

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] images on Aroid-l
  • From: Krzysztof Kozminski kk@kozminski.com
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 18:14:37 -0700

On Sunday, August 18, 2002, at 11:56 AM, Alan Galloway wrote:

There are a number of things we have to take into consideration when
it comes to allowing pictures to be posted to the list,
including such things as (but not limited to):
    - viruses can easily be transmitted within images
Uh, I doubt it very much. Images are usually data, not executables. Could you provide a reference to a single virus spread, e.g., by embedding in JPEG? I tried to find one via Google, and did not succeed.

Doesn't matter anyhow, being nice to people with slow modems is a good enough reason not to allow large messages.

    - everyone doesn't have fast access to download large images
Yup, this, IMHO, trumps any arguments for allowing images. Mine (below) included :-)

    - what standard format should be set
Easy: JPEG.

    - the amount of space required to archive messages with pictures
         in them.
As the CarTalk guys say: booooogus! A 80GB disk is nowadays about $120 according to yahoo shopping. My entire website (http://www.kozminski.com/Araceae/) is about 10 MB, with over 400 photos on it. You can archive an equivalent of eight thousands of such websites on a disk that can be purchased with savings obtained from getting just 15% of IAS Newsletter subscribers opting out of receiving the hard copies (and this is just from a single mailing).

A 5-megapixel image saved in medium-quality JPEG in photoshop produces 10x8 prints that are nearly photo-quality, and you have to have a very busy photo to reach 800 kB. The aforementioned disk can store a hundred thousands of such images. Note: a 1600x1200 display, larger than what most people use, will show only about 36% of that image.

We can only wish for sufficient traffic in high-quality aroid imagery to became an archiving issue:-)

KK
http://www.kozminski.com
"Micro$oft is to software engineering what McDonald$ is to gourmet cooking"