RE: [Aroid-l] Invasive plants

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Invasive plants
  • From: Tony Avent <tony@plantdelights.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 16:04:10 -0400

Aroiders:

	Could we please use accepted terminology when discussing invasive plants.
 An "invasive species" is defined as a species that is 1) non-native (or
alien) to the ecosystem under consideration and 2) whose introduction
causes or is likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to
human health. (Executive Order 13112).  http://www.invasivespecies.gov.
Environmental harm is usually defined at disruption and displacement of
native plants in a functioning natural ecosystem.

	Many of us have spent quite a bit of time working on this issue and
misusing the term invasive doesn't help address the real issue.  Seeding
around in the garden may seem invasive to a gardener, but does not fit the
official federal definition.  Thanks.

At 09:16 PM 8/28/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>                  keep these plants in pots, for the love of all taht is
good.
>i do indeed know the dangers of releasing invasive plants in an alien
>environment
>
> ><>  ><>  ><>  ><>  >Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Invasive plants  >Date: Sat,
>28 Aug 2004 11:36:14 -0400  >  >To all of those who think it's OK to grow
>"just a few" invasive plants "at  >home",  >I live in Florida and volunteer
>with the Agriculture Extension Service here.  >I read lots of information
>about the damage that the imported invasive  >Genera of flora and fauna are
>causing to our natives. Most of these living  >things were imported with
>good intentions, to beautify our land, to protect  >  and lastly,  >   Most
>of these intentions worked fine for a  >while, but the long term effects
>are starting to become apparent now, AND it  >  I cannot go into the
>details of all of  >the individual species that are the villains, but I am
>sure you have read  >about most of them.  >  As  >Aroid lovers, there are
>hundreds of aroids that have passed the test of time  >  We should think
>very carefully before we try to  >import and plant any species that does
>not have a proven environmental  >  It's always nice to have something that
>no one else has, but  >by owning it, you assume the responsibility of
>quarantining it until you are  >  I believe  >this testing should be left
>to the trusted professional grower.  >  Lets also take great pride in  >
>     Ron Kessler  >  >   _____  >  >From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com
>[mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com]  >On Behalf Of Arthur, Brian, Sean
>Myers  >Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 8:16 PM  >To: Discussion of aroids
>>Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] upcoming IAS show and sale  >  >  >Since when(or
>where) is it illegal to own pistia? It is still sold here in  >  i always
>had  >it..  >  >Sean Myers  >  >Patricia Frank wrote:  >  >  >  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >Unfortunately it is now illegal to own a pistia, let
>alone show the plant at  >the show. I brought in one in the crystal award
>that goes with it and had it  >taken by our Plant Inspector.  >So there
>goes our fun. Alan Fernandez would not be pleased.  >  >Tricia  >>  <>
>some  >>>>Was talking with an IAS member some  >>used to be a contest at
>the IAS show  >>their largest specimen of Pistia  >  >>Would there be any
>interest in  >  >>  >>>>>Aroid-l mailing  >>Aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden