Re: [Aroid-l] D. canariensis

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] D. canariensis
  • From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:48:29 -0700

Danny,

I can relate the following- being geographically very close and
sharing similar/ identical growing conditions as you...

After moving my lone plant around the yard for three years (plus
one season spent in the greenhouse) in an attempt to find its
"sweet spot", I'm now getting best results by growing it in-ground
under a fig tree (= broken direct sunlight).  Of course, if you're on
West Cliff Dr. or Portola Ave. & main-lining fog all summer, adjust
your exposure accordingly.

I flood irrigate once every 3 weeks during the summer, spot water
during our rare heat spells & let nature take its course from late
fall until spring- when the fig leafs out again (canariensis doesn't
emerge until June/ July, typically-- at least for me).

I find it responds well to regular feeding while in growth, though
I'd caution you to wait until the leaves are fully extended before
applying fertilizer.  Surprisingly, this is one aroid the slugs have
messed with (no coincidence that the words "slugs" and "thugs"
are remarkably similar...).

One last tid-bit: make sure that during our winter rains your chosen
area drains well.  I've found that dormant Dracs will survive if the
water is moving/ draining, but will quickly go to mush in stagnant
conditions.
---

I'd suggest you use the above as a starting point, then experiment
on your own based on observation, etc.  If Seán O'Hara's out there,
perhaps he might offer some (more learned) advice as well (!).

Good luck,
 -Dan