[Aroid-l] Re: Aroid-l Digest, Vol 25, Issue 9

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Aroid-l Digest, Vol 25, Issue 9
  • From: "Alwyn Wootten" alwootten@gmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:10:58 -0400

Hi Tom and Nancy

Thanks!  I noticed that the fauna were getting there first so I cut
the stalks and I'll try the maceration tango you describe.  The Arum
in question is here in Charlottesville this is one of the Arum
italicum varieties with silver veins, quite nice.  I like it because
it is up and pretty in the winter when nothing else is, so it sits
where the lilies are in summer by the walk.

I'm in Santiago from September through mid-December.  The ALMA
telescope isn't far from Salta, Argentina (if one attacks the unpaved
Jama road over the Andes); some day I mean to try to go see a
Synandrospadix vermitoxicus in the wild.  And to get to the Amazon.
But in Santiago all aroids are cultivated, though it is a rare house
or apartment building in Las Condes which doesn't have a garden full
of the usual suspects.  So far I've spent more time wandering around
the various reserve areas than seeking out botanical gardens there.

The project published a volume this week on the archaeology of our
telescope site; a second volume on the flora and fauna is in the
works.  A pdf of the Spanish version (English version still in
production) is available at www.nrao.cl if anyone is interested.  I'm
looking forward to the flora and fauna volume...almost everything
flora is a cactus there (some may be seen in my page at
http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~awootten/mmaimcal/ALMAmuseum.htm) though at
elevations where the Altiplanic Winter brings Amazon moisture in there
can be tremendous flowerings of the desert if there has been enough
precipitation.  Of course, that is bad for observing so on our site
this doesn't occur often.

Clear skies,
Al
On 8/10/06, aroid-l-request@gizmoworks.com