Odd leaf production on Colocasia.

  • Subject: Odd leaf production on Colocasia.
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:06:04 +0000

> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 23:17:26 -0400
> From: pugturd@alltel.net
> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Odd behavior on Colocasia.

Dear Brian,

I THINK this is a cultivar of Colocasia esculenta, probably one of the vars. introduced by Walter Pagels from Asia, not a hybrid.
It looks to me that this interesting little leaf emerging from high on a petiole of a previous/older leaf might be just an artifact of an extra-long sheath on the older leaf, a sort of occasionel ''deformity'' in this cultivar, if you will.
Try doing a dissection with a razor  blade (you will have to ''sacrifice'' the leaf with the smaller leaf emerging).  Cut the old larger leaf off as low to the ground/roots/corm as possible.
Try looking carefully for the ''seam'' of the leaf sheath along the old leaf, you would start at where the new small leaf has emerged and work/search downward.   Then try cutting cross-sections of the larger leafs petiole, working downward from where the new leaf emerged, determining if a smaller petiole of the smaller leaf does in fact occur INSIDE the closed sheath of the older, larger petiole.
Let us know what you discover!

Good Growing,

Julius