Re: Philodendron self-seeding

  • Subject: Re: Philodendron self-seeding
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:41:44 +0000

Dear Don,

Most interesting!  We had a report of this recently from Australia (same species!), and I asked that our mates ''down under'' keep an eye open for any possible pollinators down there.
A couple of notes---we do have in Florida a species of Cyclocephala, the same genus of beetle which pollinates aroids in the wilds of South America.   They are small, light brown with darker spots, and swarm to lights here in summer.   This is a possibility.
I am also faced with trying to solve the puzzle of pollination of huge adult Montrichardia linnifera (ex: Trinidad) planted near the edge of the Everglades here in Palm Beach County!
All I can add is that Mother Nature always seems to find a way for reproduction to take place!

The Best,