RE: Lysichiton Americanum Query

At 10:00 AM 8/9/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Sue,
>Since I haven`t actually seen the species in question, it is difficult to
>offer a suggestion as to the reason for the form of the "gel body" you have
>observed on the seed of Lysichiton.  Any ideas from other members/lurkers
>would be welcomed.

In some other species of plants (notably the genus Othonna) the gel produced
by the seed is thought to be a germination inhibitor--delaying germination
until the time is right.

Presumably this is when the rains are sufficient to wash away the gel--and
provide proper growth conditions for the seedlings that will result.

Given the habitat of Lysichiton I'm not certain the explanation suffices but
it's food for thought.

Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D.        Email:
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
Voice:     414.569.1902  Telefax: same number, please call ahead.