Re: Spectacular Aroids #3

>From Dewey's post:

> Xanthosoma sp. "Blackie"        The Black one that everybody is talking
> about.   The leaf is so black that it looks like black velour.

Have we been talking about a black Xanthosoma recently?  I know there's
been a lot of discussion of Colocasia "black magic".  Is the Xanthosoma
yet another black-leaved plant?  As I mentioned several months ago, I
saw a Xanthosoma violacea at Kew Gardens that had almost black leaves
(huge ones, too), although what is sold as Xanthosoma violacea around
here always has green leaves.  Incidentally, a friend of mine (not on
the list) told me about a recent program on one of those "home and
garden" t.v. shows.  Seems they mentioned a *black caladium*, and were
recommending it for the home gardener.  Is there a black caladium, a
black Xanthosoma, and a black colocasia (black magic), or are people
debating the correct name?

Clarence Hester