Re: gigantic leaf species around the wor

Julius, there are actually TWO photos in Fairchild's GARDEN ISLANDS OF THE
GREAT EAST of Cyrtosperma merkusii (I have the book): one taken on a
beach in Luzon showing Prof. Hugh Curran holding an 18-ft. leaf-petiole
cut from the forest; the other photo taken in the forest itself showing
Ned Beckwith standing amidst a grove of them.  The leaf itself (the
lamina) seems no larger than those on a mature Alocasia odora, nor
any larger than those in the photo of A. odora var. robusta in EXOTICA
which shows Roberto Burle Marx standing beneath the "canopy" of the
plant.  The leaf of Philodendron speciosum would seem to be AT LEAST
as large and probably larger, and it's unsegmented.  I have grown
Xanthosoma violaceum and X. sagittifolium with leaves almost 6-feet
long.  In addition, in the BBS production of David Attenborough's
"The Secret Life of Plants" there's a scene with the great popularizer
himself standing within a clump of what he calls "the giant arum" of
Borneo or Sumatra or wherever he is--the leaves of this plant, if
memory serves, seem larger than any of the above.  I have it on tape
and could find the part if anyone is interested;  alas, he gives no
binomial or even genus name ..... wonder if he's online?

Robert Lee Riffle, author of THE TROPICAL LOOK