Subject: Re: Gel surrounding seeds.
Author:  <aroid-l@mobot.org> at mailgate
Date:    8/17/98 6:21 PM

Julius and All again,

I have another thought on the gel function.  I noticed that when
Lysichiton becomes ripe, the ground around the plant is not exactly wet,
in fact it is dry at the surface. My impression was that the gel might be
a prolonger of moisture around the seeds allowing them time to germinate
and extend a root past the dry condition at the surface. Does this sound
at all reasonable?  The infructescenciii which fell to the ground, turned
into a pile of slimy mush and stayed wet for quite awhile.  I'd be
curious to know if the conditions around Lasimorpha are similar when they
drop their fruit.
Just speculating,
Sue Z.