Re: Gel surrounding seeds.

Julius and All again,

I have another thought on the gel function.  I noticed that when
Lysichiton becomes ripe, the ground around the plant is not exactly wet,
in fact it is dry at the surface. My impression was that the gel might
be a prolonger of moisture around the seeds allowing them time to
germinate and extend a root past the dry condition at the surface. Does
this sound at all reasonable?  The infructescenciii which fell to the
ground, turned into a pile of slimy mush and stayed wet for quite
awhile.  I'd be curious to know if the conditions around Lasimorpha are
similar when they drop their fruit.
Just speculating,
Sue Z.