Re: [aroid-l] Philo verrucosum hybrid?

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Philo verrucosum hybrid?
  • From: Neil Crafter golfstra@senet.com.au
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:07:45 +1030

Out here in Australia there are at least two or three plants similar to true P. verrucosum in various collections. The ones I know about are:

P. x 'Corsinianum' - this is recorded as the first hybrid Philodendron, from Italy I believe in the 1800's. It certainly appears to have verrucosum as one parent as the underside of the leaves display the characteristic red flush (although less strong) and branched venation of P.verrucosum. The petioles are only roughened with no hair. The plant also goes by the name of 'Bronze Shield' I believe, as the leaves are somewhat convex in shape and fairly large.

P. verrucosum x ornatum - a hybrid with P.ornatum (old sodiroi) that has leaves with the colour and veining of verrucosum on the back and the front of the leaves have some silvery splashes. A nice plant. Again, no hairs on the petioles, just knobbly.

The other one that is a bit similar is P.gigas. I have only seen a small plant of this, but I'd say the leaves were much bigger and thicker than verrucosum. Tom Croat can tell us more about P.gigas.

hope this helps.
Neil Crafter, Adelaide, Australia