[Aroid-l] All hail the all mighty Julius!!

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] All hail the all mighty Julius!!
  • From: "Enid" enigo@bellsouth.net
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:29:02 -0500

Well the infamous Julius Boos has done it again….

During this year’s aroid show, Julius found out that I have quite the Cyrtosperma collection (addiction). He recommended I try heating the water they sit in during the winter since they are notoriously cold sensitive. For anyone who has grown them, 60 degrees is akin to a death sentence. This is normally the time of year I wrestle them back and forth inside the house on cool nights and wonder what made me love these needy aroids in the first place. These spiny beasts don’t go inside without a fight, since a few are bigger than me.

We built a large shallow tray about 6” deep. I put in an aquarium heater and a pump to circulate the water. The water temperature is set at 85 degrees. I also put a bit of Peters 20 20 20 in the water. (Why not?) Not only have I not had to bring them in yet this year, but I have new leaves and blooms on almost every single one. (Watch for some hybrids this year). They are growing better now in the winter than they usually do in the summer without heated water.  We have been into the high 40’s twice and 50’s a few times with not even a scratch. All hail the mighty and all knowing Julius!!!

Enid

Natural Selections Exotics

www.NSExotics.com