[Aroid-l] Anthurium fruiting

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Anthurium fruiting
  • From: "Derek Burch" derek@horticulturist.com
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 10:09:35 -0500

One of my large birdsnest anthuriums that has not fruited before is now
giving me a beautiful mass of bright scarlet fruit. I am curious about a
phenomenon which I have seen before on other big birdsnest species, that is
that as the fruits ripen they sooner or later pop out of the matrix of the
spadix and hang on a short thread. How widespread is this through the genus?
The shape of the fruit (like a candycorn) makes it very poppable, and the
almost random ripening of the fruits dotted all over the spadix also makes
the popping more likely as the remaining fruit around any given one swell.

I don't really have questions about this, apart from wondering how
widespread it is, and also why the fruits reach maturity with no apparent
pattern and over such an extended period, but would welcome anyone's
observations or comments.

Idle thoughts for an idle day. Best wishes to everyone.

Aroid-l mailing list