Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma violaceum/ doubts

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma violaceum/ doubts
  • From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:41:40 +0000

From : 	Peter Boyce <botanist@malesiana.com>
Sent : 	Saturday, December 23, 2006 10:39 PM
To : 	"Discussion of aroids" <aroid-l@gizmoworks.com>
Subject : 	Re: [Aroid-l] Xanthosoma violaceum

Dear Jani and Pete,

In my posting (which just came up on aroid-), I mentioned that I feel that there may be or that there is more than one specie involved in the Xanthosoma violacium 'complex'. In years past at the Jamaican stores there was only what they called 'red coco', it was EXPENSIVE, was a bright purple color when you scraped of the scales at the growing tip, and grew w/ DARK petioles, and this I believe was X. violacium, but then inports began from Cen. America of another rhizome which closely resembled the rhizomes from Jamaica, but were subtily different, less 'red', etc., and the plants that grew from these 'new' rhizomes were also less 'black', and we had several discussions on aroid-l where a person sent in a photo of a plant, some said it was X. violacium, Eduardo said it was another specie, etc., So---until someone (Eduardo?) does some THROUGH research on the cultivated Xanthosomas, we must remain in the dark on their true identities. I wonder if BOTH these plants bloom in cultivation? I do know that X. 'robustum' blooms VERY frequently, but was told by some Cuban folk that I worked with that the Xanthosoma w/ a flesh of a bright yellow-color (X. atrovirens?) inside a thick, cork-like almost black, hairy outer skin, NEVER produced a bloom in cultivation in Cuba. I tried growing them twice, both times the plants 'disapeared' from our Co. nursery!

Mertry Christmas!

Julius

Hi Jani

What we call X. violaceum here in Sarawak (cultivated for its tubers) flowers regularly.

Peter<<