laws or restrictions on mailing seeds/plants to another country

Hi All,
What are the laws or restrictions on mailing seeds or plants to another
I heard of someone having to sneak Primrose seeds through customs from
England to the US.
Several years ago many of the horticultural crops in California were
wiped out because of a plant imported with an insect. As a result
California is very strict about importing any agricultural products.
I would like to send seeds to one of our Aroider friends in England.
Has anyone had success with mailing seeds from the US to England?
Judy Bauer
8440 Huckleberry Trl
Concord NC 28027
plant zone 7