Re: cross breading ????

  • To: Multiple recipients of list AROID-L <aroid-l@mobot.org>
  • Subject: Re: cross breading ????
  • From: Neil Carroll <zzamia@hargray.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 09:10:03 -0600 (CST)

> Hello this is Brian Williams. I have a few questions about a subject I
> no clue on. Well, I have a few Anthuriums blooming. Now one is a birdsnest
> type and the other one is a more common heart shaped form.

A good place to start would be online at the IAS website. If you go to
genera and then anthurium you will come to the intro page for anthurium.
Read the article on the sections of anthurium. In that article the sections
of anthurium are described and then the article offers information on trial
crosses between different sections of anthurium.
The birdsnest type you have is likely in Section pachyneurium and the heart
shaped leaf could be in any number of sections including, Calomystrium,
Belolonchium and Cardiolonchium.
That should get you started.

Also, there is a brief article on how to pollinate anthuriums at my site....

Don't know about Cyrtosperma and Urospatha.......Julius??