Re: [aroid-l] Ebay titanum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Ebay titanum
  • From: "Susan Cooper" <coops@execpc.com>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:08:33 -0500

Did you buy it Berhard?
Although I can't see the picture of the plant well, I would guess it is
NOT.  Titanums usually have such bright green petioles you can spot
them right off.  I may be wrong, of course!
I haven't grown titanums very successfully, but my 2nd and third leaves
that come up are usually in the middle of the pot and not around the
edges.  Also, the tuber looks like it might have an offset coming off
the right side.? Hard to tell.
It is too hard to ID from leaf, but I had a koratensis that looked like
that once...
PS here is the translation from Altavista's Babelfish.  They have a
cool toolbar that you can add right to the toolbar on your browser
window.  Any time you need a translation you just click a button (no
Dutch though).  As you laugh about the translation, remember it is by a
computer, it is enough to give you the idea of what was said....

Titanenwurz ? Amorphophallus titanum ?echte tuber
They offer here on a tuber of the genuine Titanenwurz, to the largest
flower world-wide. The Titanenwurz is exclusively resident on Sumatra
one of the most spectacular features of the plant world and. The plant
drives an enormous handle from a tuber heavy up to 75 kilograms and
branches out up to three sheet whisks. The appearance resembles then a
tree. Handle and bypasses are greenish with rosa Sprenkeln. However
this colour in connection with the stature form is unique. Both the
height of the handle and the width of the crown can reach 6 meters. If
the plant comes to flowering, the bloom diameter can amount to 1.50
meters with a height of over 3 meters. In some cases the bloom in
botanischen gardens was to be admired.

I could see this rare and impressing nature play twice in the palm
garden Frankfurt/M..

I hold my plant in the third year. At first it was in a pot with
approx.. 20 cm diameters. The handle was approx.. 50 cm highly and the
sheet whisks had a diameter of approx.. 50 cm. Last year was the handle
approx.. 120 cm highly and likewise the diameter of the sheet whisk.
When I wanted to umtopfen the tuber now in January, I had to out-get a
problem her from the 33-cm excavator bucket. The plastic pot had proper
outward deformed. When it then nevertheless outside was, I could
determine a diameter of 25 cm with a weight of well 6 kilograms. The
sprout is already present.

On one of the three pictures you see my plant in the mentioned
excavator bucket with the trunk and sheet whisk last year in the summer
beside to 10-litres a watering can. In the other picture you see the
tuber of this plant one week ago in the comparison beside a 12-Liter
bucket. Before it on the white sheet paper lies the tuber on that you
to offer can. It has a diameter of 5-6 cm. From this tuber last year
grew already a plant with a height of approx.. 30 cm. Although it was
still relatively small, it had already exactly the typical
characteristics of an attained full growth copy. The offered tuber
shows already a sprout. The frontispiece shows the gigantic bloom in
the botanischen garden Bonn. Besides visitor stands.

The care is a further surprise, since I possess no greenhouse and the
plant in a warm region am resident actually. I hold the plant in the
summer in the free one in the pot with plentifully water and nutrient
gifts (none would be astonished-eat) and protect it against all too
sharp sun. As soon as it becomes correctly cold in the autumn, I place
it in the house and let the plant in the area kept at a moderate
temperature dry and/or draw in. An exact caring can be provided when
desired. This deviates naturally from that, which finds for the
attitude in the tropical greenhouse application, substantially.

Many interesting references and sensational pictures over this plant
one can regard by InterNet of the botanischen garden Bonn. I can
communicate InterNet sides on request one in 2003 78 kg a heavy tuber
there pulled. The bloom was 274 cm highly and thus world record.

Since it concerns a private sales, the adhesion is your-genuinly
impossible after new. Ebay fees go to my loads, the pure postage costs
(packages or insured package) carry the buyer. The dispatch takes place
immediately after receipt

Much success when offering and you look at yourselves also my other
auctions and my evaluations