[Aroid-l] Re: Philodendron List

  • Subject: [Aroid-l] Re: Philodendron List
  • From: Jason Hernandez mossytrail@earthlink.net
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 16:50:27 -1000 (GMT-10:00)

-----Original Message-----
Message: 1
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 15:06:53 +0000
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] old Philodendron list
To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com

Dear Friends,

Well said, Michael---any confusion that might have existed concerning the
'correct'  Philo. species on which to place this name was cleared up by Dr.
Eduardo Gonclaves' EXCELLENT article and scientific description of this
wonderful plant as a 'good' species'. The article  featured both photos AND
fantastic line-drawings of this extremely now-rare-in-the wild plant, less
than 20 specimens are known to exist in the wild, all isolated from each
other on remanant  trees left over from forest clearing and now standing  in
cattle pastures, no pollenators, hence so sexual reproduction is taking
The one question I have is how many independent collcections were originally
made, and if there was variability in say leaf-shape or color to these
different collections that were all presumably the same species, and to say
that perhaps someone could start a discussion-group where photos could be
posted of individually-owned plants of this species, we could then confirm
if a particular plant is indeed this species.
I once more make a call to those in the USA who may be fortunate enough to
own a plant or plants of this species to make every effort to hand-pollinate
it and so get some seed w/ some genitic var., the same urgent request  is
now made to aroid loves in its native Brazil, Dr. Eduardo Goncalves and
others,  please try to hand-pollinate a couple of  wild blooming plants to
obtain seeds, without this effort NOW,  this wonderful species is doomed to
extinction.   Perhaps we could once more discuss some limited tissue-culture
of the remaining plants.
Julius Boos,

Without the natural pollinators, even hand pollination is only a stopgap.  Did anyone ever observe the pollinator before the habitat was destroyed?  I don't suppose there are any living, captive stock of it?  If so, that would be one of our first conservation measures.  If the elements of the species' natural history can be reassembled, there may be hope of one day re-establishing wild populations, whether by restoration of the original site, or construction of a new one; but without these interrelationships, it will become extinct in the wild, perpetuated only in cultivation.

Jason Hernandez
Aroid-l mailing list