Re: [Aroid-l] Shipping to Arizona and international

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] Shipping to Arizona and international
  • From: Betsy Feuerstein ecuador@midsouth.rr.com
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 11:21:38 -0600

Food for thought. When you sign that declaration of what is in that box you are signing a legal document and if the Feds want to prosecute you for purjury, they have every legal right to do such. Some have been prosecuted for false declarations. This is about international shipments.

Horticultural companies who send plants into restricted states could well lose their licenses if caught or be prosecuted under federal or state regulations.

Does this happen very often? NO! Could it happen and could you as a commercial company be in big trouble? Yes!

As an individual, so far, the situation is a bit less strigent even though legally it is the same.

Back to choices.............

Chipboy5399@cs.com wrote:
   This is not a real problem for most people shipping.  I have sent many plants to California for years adn even recently.  As long as it is just a regular package with  nothign to draw attention to a business name.  For that matter I have ordered from Nurseries in Cal. again recently (who will remain nameless) that have forced plants into a smaller unlabeled box so that they could ship them to me.  I have even sent many packages to Europe and have recieved.  I also do that often.  The only  risk of that is if you do get inspected at customs the package is thrown away. You then get a letter telling you.  Oh yes but I also put something inthe box so thta I can describe that and divert attention.  This has only happened to me one time in the past 5 years of doing this.

Salute'
  rick