Re: [Aroid-l] 'Santa Leopoldina'-last comment

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] 'Santa Leopoldina'-last comment
  • From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:16:54 +0000

Dear guys,

I am sorry for the loooooong silence, even when my name appear in many postings on this topic. I have been somewhat busy lately... Santa Leopoldina is a city in Espirito Santo state (Southeastern Brazil) where the material was supposed to be collected long time ago. For a weird reason, it seens that plants from that area are proned to have long leaves. (Remember P. stenolobum was also collected nearby). Since than, people have mentioned an outstanding long leaf P. "Santa Leopoldina', but since you have many species around with long leaves, the name started to be disputed. Philodendron spiritus-sancti was collected originally in Domingos Martins county (that is the just at the southwestern corner of Santa Leopoldina county). George Bunting never mentioned the name Santa Leopoldina when describing P. spiritus-sancti, but both names were associated further by .......... . When I redescribed wild specimens of P. spiritus-sancti, I reinforced that the only Philodendron "Santa Leopoldina" formally described was this one. To me (as a taxonomist), only formally published names are real names. It is true that other morpho-species (to be named P. superbum as fast as we can obtain wild-collected material of this) has been also associated with the toponym Santa Leopoldina, maybe before any other material. However, Graf's books are great for the horticulturist, but they are very far from being formal in a taxonomic point of view. Since taxonomy is the only official scientific way to deal with the plant diversity, Graf's opinion on nomenclature is completely useless. I won't resist to cite that the Amazonian Philodendron billietae and P. atabapoense, and even the southern P. curvilobum have been named P. "Santa Leopoldina" too. This is the funny side of life...A new law simply appeared: since most philos from Santa Leopoldina have long leaves so every plant with long leaf should be from Santa Leopoldina!!! Pretty smart! (LOL)

My final word? Learn with your experiences and use one of the mottos:

1. Discussing popular names is funny, but worthless. If you want something that comes closer to unanbiguous nomenclature, ask you friend taxonomist to make a type specimen and describe your new plant formally.

2. If you think Horticultural names should be free from "official" taxonomy, follow the horticultural rules and register your cultivar.

3. If you don't like official rules (horticultural or taxonomic), call your plants as you want, but don't bother to discuss it.

4. If you are a plant collector and like to have names in your plants, keep geographical information with them. All the pain could be avoided if plants of the "old" P. Santa Leopoldina had a geographical label on it. Right now, we are not 100% sure that the old P. Santa Leopoldina came in fact from Santa Leopoldina. Philodendron spiritus-sancti is the closer choice!!!!

Be happy,

Dr. Eduardo G. Goncalves
Universidade Catolica de Brasilia
Curso de Ciencias Biologicas