Re: Xanthosoma robustum infloresence

  • Subject: Re: Xanthosoma robustum infloresence
  • From: <ju-bo@msn.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 14:47:20 +0000

Dear Michael,

Nice photo!
This species does bloom regularly, but there are other species (?) of Xanthosoma cultivated as food which do not, it has been surmised that the species which have been cultivated for the longest period of time are the ones that do not.   One is the yellow fleshed species seldom available here in Florida.   Besides not blooming, this one does not seem to produce the edible off-shoot tubers, it seems that it is grown for a long period of time, and the lower portion of the main rhizome is then cut off and used as food.  The result is an expensive product!   Several Colocasia cultivars are like this.

The best,