Re: Fwd: High elevation plants

Greetings Steve,
Here in Illinois, clay pipe,like the type you have described,
and as I saw on the link Brian provided, might be available at a plumbing
supply company. Today of course, PVC has replaced the traditional
materials.
Perhaps a farm  or agriculture supply company might have clay field
tiles, but here again, today, long continuous plastic hoses are used
for this function as well.
Many years, ago, you would occasionally see people using broken
or half clay pots for mounting epiphytic plants. Packing sphagnum moss
into the pot, and then tying the plants onto or into the media.
If I may offer an " out there" idea, I have made my own Hypertufa troughs,
to grow various rock garden perennials and bulbs in over the years.
You can mold this mixture free hand or you could use various cardboard
tubes, to make a cylinder. This might be an avenue to look into for these
more unusual aroids that people would be trying to grow..
Michael Kolaczewski