Re: Off-Topic ebay question

  • Subject: Re: Off-Topic ebay question
  • From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy@sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 04:50:45 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ken,

I spend a lot of time on ebay, although not much money.  I have met very few bad sellers and lots of really good ones.

Usually, a seller will refund your money if you are dissatisfied.  The ebay insurance policy will step in and refund both your purchase price and shipping & handling, if you cannot work things out with the seller.

Sometimes you doubt the veracity of a seller's claim, but you go ahead and buy it anyway.  I purchased a rather expensive Canna and found out later that the picture and been photo shopped.  I had it anyway and it was an interesting plant, even if not worth the money I paid.  So I did not complain, although several others had.  I noticed that the next year the seller listed the plant at a greatly reduced price.  Then buyers began listing  propagates at even lower prices.

In another case, my purchase was never shipped.  I complained to Ebay and unloaded with my negative feedback and noticed that others had also.  Ebay stepped in and repaid my cost.  Within a few weeks, that seller was no longer listed on ebay.

The seller in question has had 14,125 transactions since 2004 and the positive feedback is overwhelming.  In the last month she received 2400 favorable responses versus 3 unfavorable responses.  In the last six months she received 8290 favorable responses versus 15 unfavorable responses, so my guess is that your battle is impossible.

Yes, you can list a left handed sky hook, but if you can't deliver, someone has to repay the buyer.  If ebay has to step in, they will look to you.  They can either refuse your future listings or, if the amount is significant, they can contact the authorities and sue you regarding the fraud you have committed.

It will take several years to find out if that rose is not as listed.  By then, the seller could be gone and, in fact, ebay or you could be gone.

My advice:  Forget About It (life is too short).

David Leedy