Re: Richardia?!!!

> Date:          Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:44:31 -0600
> From:          W T McClure <W.T.McClure@durham.ac.uk>
> Subject:       Richardia?!!!
> To:            rob.mcclure@sci.monash.edu.au

> Today I took part in the Young Horticulturist of the Year competition
> hosted by the Institute of Horticulture here in Britain.  One of the
> slides had a picture of a calla lily and the question was which is the
> correct name for this plant.  Naturally, being the aroid expert that I
> now am, I quickly jotted down Zantedeschia.  I was wrong!!  They said that
> it was Richardia.  Someone please tell me that it isn't so.  My protests
> were fruitless :(
>
> Yours,
> William Perez

William,

My money is on you.
Here is a few lines from my trusty British RHS Dictionary of
 Gardening :

Zantedeschia aethiopica was incorrectly placed in Calla by Linnaeus.
In 1818 Kunth proposed a new genus Richardia to accomodate it.
It was then realised that Richardia had already been used for a genus
in the Rubiaceae family.
Zantedeschia was then born and I quote " Zantedeschia is its correct
botanical name."

Did you win the competition ?
I think you should cry foul and call in the referee !

Cheers,
           Rob.
Rob.McClure
Dept.of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Monash University, Clayton 3168
AUSTRALIA.
Phone:(03)9905.5625
Fax:(03)9905.5613