Re: Giant Tube culture

A great addition to the very charming effect of old tires in the yard would
be a method that I tried last fall to protect bulbs such as tulips - spray
"Ropel" (brandname), an animal repellent, all over the tubers and let sit for
a minute.  Crush up some moth balls (this was almost impossible) and mix
thoroughly with the planting soil.  There should be no creatures (including
yourself!) hanging around your tender tubers due to the toxic stench of the
moth balls.  I have yet to see if it really worked - but I'm deep in the
woods and have seen no holes dug up yet, even underneath the trees!
Stacy