Phil. squamiferum et al

Don Burns was recently good enough to send a piece of Phil. squamiferum to
be inlcuded in my little "teaching" collection. (I use the plants to give
talks to kids in schools in our area and to other groups).

What about that peduncle--any ideas on the adaptive purpose for the strange
protrusions (maybe to prevent crawlers from getting to the leaf? Or perhaps
to assist in "grabbing" hold as the plant climbs through vegetation?). Are
there other species with equally interesting appendages?

Carlo A. Balistrieri, J.D.        Email:
P.O. Box 327
Ashippun, WI 53003-0327
Voice:     414.569.1902  Telefax: same number, please call ahead.