Re: [aroid-l] A. spruceanum

  • Subject: Re: [aroid-l] A. spruceanum
  • From: Rand Nicholson writserv@nbnet.nb.ca
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:30:03 -0300

Hello Wilbert:

No real puzzle.

Obviously, in a highly excitable state of phalloid enthusiasm after receiving my shipment, I mislabeled Dracontium spruceanum as Amorphophallus spruceanum. Wishful thinking or duh? I suppose this is how some of those ugly taxonomic rumors get started. However, D. spruceanum _does_ look almost exactly like A. spruceanum (which, of course, does not exist) to my layman's eye.  And, a rather large not-a-bulbil is developing on top of the leaf petiole. Do these eventually ever _do_ anything, or are they just arthritic wannabees?

That clears that up.

Thanks, and drop over for a beer some time you are in the country.

Eastern Maritime Canada z 5b (& -16 C.)