Re: [Aroid-l]Off-topic-- I did sow Rafflesia

  • Subject: Re: [Aroid-l]Off-topic-- I did sow Rafflesia
  • From: Marcin <shagar@cyber-sport.com.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:55:43 +0100

Dear Maurice and All,

i heard that size of seeds of Rfaflessia is very small, isn`t it? I would love to see pictures of seeds also if you have such available.

With all the best, Marcin

At 17:46 2007-01-19 +0100, you wrote:
Dear all,

I read all the messages concerning Rafflesia and I can tell you that in the time that I had the position of Curator of the Botanical Garden of Amsterdam I received seeds of Rafflesia gadutensis from Willem Meyer (they expert on Rafflesia's) in 1991. The seeds were collected by a amateur plant collector in Ulu gadut (West Sumatra) and offered to the Missouri Bot. garden. The host plant for Rafflesia was indeed Tetrastigma leucostaphyllum. The seeds were sown just under the bark of the host close to the soil, or close to the roots scraped off a bit. the placed of inoculation were marked with labels and accurate record was kept by me. Willem Meyer told me that in case of succes within 1-2 years flowering buds of Rafflesia may appear, but unfortunely we used a to young plant of Tetrastigma leucostaphyllum so the seeds didn't germinate. There is only one record of a succesfull inoculation and that's in Bogor.

Maurice Hinterding
Eemdijk 18
3754 NH Eemdijk