RE: [Aroid-l] Leaflet use for tuber production.

  • Subject: RE: [Aroid-l] Leaflet use for tuber production.
  • From: Douglas Ewing <dewing@u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:48:03 -0800 (PST)

I have been cloning A.titanum via leaflet cuttings for a number of years now. I put the piece of leaflet in a miniature greenhouse constructed of 2 clear 2 liter pop bottles. I insert the cutting into a block of rockwool, or a small pot of peat-based potting soil. I do not use rooting hormone applications- I was under the impression that this might delay, rather than speed, the development of shoots, since they are auxins. Either way, one is interested in getting the leaf cutting to produce a shoot ( albeit modified into a tuber) not roots. After several months of being closed in this high humidity capsule, the leaf turns yellow, then brown, then finally is removed and I find a tuber below the media surface that is a couple of centimeters in diameter. When setting up this cutting, and periodically as needed, I dust the plant with my fungicide of choice- cinnamon powder, the stuff you put on your oatmeal. This works remarkably well to reduce fungal problems in the high humidity.

Doug Ewing, Greenhouse Manager (206) 543-0436
Department of Biology
University of Washington
Box 351800
24 Kincaid Hall ( for UPS and FEDEX)